Friday, July 21, 2006

FYI - Israel and Lebanon

I admit I haven't been so much of a political junkie in the past few months...but after hearing a report this morning on NPR that leaders in the state of Massachusetts (inc. Gov. Romney and former Gov. Dukakis and HUNDREDS more) have jumped on the Administration's brutish bandwagon, putting out an ad in the Boston Globe supporting "Israel's right to defend itself...", I decided I really can't afford to be so politically ignorant anymore.

I can't feign to understand what it is to believe so much in religious authority that you are willing to kill and be killed for it...but I do understand that the amount of civilian deaths and displacement of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE from their homes, is not an act that can be ignored and/or supported by any humanitarian means.

Yes, Hezbollah is guilty of variuos crimes and acts of terrorism. But why is the Middle East a FREAKING PING PONG GAME of one act of war and terror as an immediate and direct response to another bloody act. The violence will only keep escalating...and here we are with front row seats, passive spectators...

There are only a handful of members of the House, led by Dennis Kucinich, that are actually thinking with their brains and not their fists, reminding us that peace can't be wrought with guns and explosives. They are asking that the U.S. be an active mediator in bringing both sides back to the negotiating table. Instead, the Adminstration has responded, (*SURPRISE*), in support of a call to arms and bloody violene.

Israel has no right proceeding the way it is in Lebanon. It's a MURDEROUS, CRUEL AND SENSELESS RESPONSE UNJUSTIFIED BY ANY MEANS. I don't care what the grievances are or what has been suffered in the PAST. We need to think in terms of the PRESENT and FUTURE. FUCK WHAT HAPPENED LAST WEEK, LAST MONTH, LAST CENTURY.

In the wake of our own senseless war in Iraq, I feel that this entire world has LOST ITS FUCKING MARBLES.

Because it's getting scarier and scarier to be HUMAN these days, I decided it's time for me to devour the news on a more regular basis, so I can at least try to understand what drives people to believe they have a right to kill--although, MAYBE I WON'T EVER GET IT.

Here's a link to a great article from The Nation magazine that cites several of the best current news sources covering the latest events in Lebanon :

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/actnow?bid=4&pid=102968

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home